This healthy salad in a jar is so refreshing and satisfying that you can actually make this ahead of time. Your body will definitely be thanking you for having this for breakfast or lunch.
The mason jars keep the salad fresh longer than plastic containers as long as it is tightly closed inside the refrigerator for a week. It is the best way to have healthy meals on hand as long as you prepared it ahead of time. The good thing about salad in a jar is that you can store your preferred dressing in the same container so you don’t have to worry about bringing the dressing with you.
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes or 4 medium size tomatoes sliced (removed the seeds)
- 1 large size red onion chopped
- 1 medium size cucumber sliced into small bite size pieces
- 1 cup chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup of celery chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 medium size bell peppers sliced into bite size pieces
- ¼ kilo of chicken breast boiled or grilled seasoned with lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Romaine lettuce
- Divide the ingredients into 2-3 mason 16 oz mason jars
- First layer is always the dressing, options are endless but I prefer the vinaigrette dressing since it will come out of the jar easier than the thicker ones.
- For the second layer placed the celery, cucumbers, bell peppers and red onion since these are the veggies that can last when soaked in a dressing for a week. I recommend those veggies that would do well in pickled or marinades.
- Third layer is where you will put the corn and chickpeas. This layer act as a wall defense between the dressing and the lettuce. You can also add any pasta, grains, beans, rice of your choice.
- Fourth layer is where you add the chicken. Other options are canned tuna in oil, boiled eggs and pasta.
- Last layer is where you will add the tomatoes and lettuce. Layered this with ingredients that would wilt or become too soft and soggy if exposed to dressing to soon.
- Double or triple the recipe for multiple servings.
When your ready to eat just shake the salad jar to evenly distribute the dressing then put it into another bowl and enjoy your nutrient packed meal!